Access Statement for Blanch House
Blanch House is located in the Kemp Town district of Brighton, on a quiet street two minutes walk from the sea front and ten minutes walk from the city centre.
We have twelve bedrooms, which are all en-suite. Four are located on the first floor, two on the mezzanine between the first and second floor. We have a further four bedrooms on the second floor, one bedroom on the mezzanine between the second and third floor, and a final bedroom on the third floor. To access all the rooms, it is necessary to ascend at least one flight of stairs.
Although we will do everything possible to aid our guests, for example by carrying luggage up to bedrooms, Blanch House is located in a period building, and as such the scope for renovation is limited – hence our inability to provide an elevator or ground floor rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01273 603504 or email email@example.com.
We are located a 20 minute walk from Brighton train station; alternatively, taxis are always available at the station, with a journey time under five minutes.
- The nearest bus stop (Rock Gardens) is located very close to Blanch House, while one of the main bus terminals (Old Steine) is under ten minutes walk along St James’ Street.
- Atlingworth Street itself and the surrounding streets are well maintained and well lit, with frequent crossing points.
- Brighton has excellent taxi services, and companies are able to provide accessible vehicles; we will happily book taxis for our guests.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the ‘Contact Us’ section of our website.
Car Parking and Arrival
On street parking is available; we purchase guest parking permits at a cost of £9.50 for 24 hours from the local council. These are valid for use in ‘Zone C’, which covers the majority of the streets in the Kemp Town area. Additionally, there is a disabled parking space at the top of Atlingworth street.
- Access to front door of Blanch House is gained by a short flight of three steps of 15cm height (a handrail is provided). Unfortunately, no level access is available due to the nature of our property.
- The clear opening width to the front door is 80cm.
- The outside of the property is well lit at night by our own lanterns and street lights.
- Guests are welcomed into the hall, and led through to the bar area for check-in; an area which is well lit with overhead lighting, and level throughout with plenty of seating available.
- The hall is carpeted, while the bar area is furnished with wooden floors.
- We are able to offer assistance with any luggage brought by our guests.
Our bedrooms are accessed by means of stairs of 15 cm height, with our most accessible bedrooms being located on the first floor (16 stairs) and described below.
- Bedroom 1 (Poppy) – clear door opening width of 70 cm; bed height of 60cm.
- Bedroom 2 (Moroccan) – clear door opening width of 70 cm; bed height of 60cm.
- Furniture may be removed on request to allow for easier navigation of the rooms.
- Both Poppy and Moroccan can be made into twin beds, to allow a friend or family member to stay in the room.
- Both rooms are well lit with overhead lighting and bedside lamps; additional table lamps may be provided on request.
- Both rooms are covered with short pile carpet, with the floors of the en-suites being tiled.
- Seating, a wardrobe, storage areas and tea and coffee making facilities are available in the rooms.
- Our beds are normally made up with down duvets and pillows, however non-feather bedding can be provided on request.
- Televisions are provided in the rooms, a subtitle option is available.
Entrance to the en-suites is by way of a level access doorway.
- The clear door opening width in Poppy is 60 cm.
- The clear door opening width in Moroccan is 60 cm.
- Showers are free-standing, with a raised lip around the bottom of the stall of 29 cm in both rooms.
- Both rooms have lever taps in the sinks.
- The toilet height in Poppy is 44 cm.
- The toilet height in Moroccan is 38 cm.
- The en-suites are well lit with overhead and over-mirror lighting.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas are well lit with a combination of overhead and floor lighting.
- All public areas are covered with short pile carpet.
- Between the ground floor and first floor there is a flight of 8 steps, with a handrail fixed to the wall
Public Areas – Bar Area/ Lounge
The bar/ lounge area is located on the ground floor, with level access.
- The clear door opening width is 70cm.
- The room generally has 3 small low tables, and a further 3 small high tables (suitable for dining), with padded chairs without arms and armchairs available. There is a large clear space in the middle of the room and space between each table.
- The room is covered with wooden floorboards, and is well lit by natural light, overhead lighting and wall lighting.
The unisex public toilet is located to the left of the stairs leading up to the first floor, with a clear door opening width of 65cm.
- It is lit by overhead lighting, which is turned on by a light pull.
- The dining room is on the lower ground floor of the hotel, and is accessed by descending a flight of 5 stairs of 14cm height, however all meals may be taken in the bar area if level access is required.
- The clear door width is 85cm.
- The room is large, with plenty of space between the tables.
- There is seating for up to 40 people; armchairs can be provided on request.
- The floor is covered with short pile carpet and is well lit by overhead lighting and wall lighting.
- The breakfast we provide is a table-service menu, with an additional breakfast buffet for pastries, fruit, juice and cereal.
- The breakfast buffet is self service, however assistance can be provided.
- All dietary requirements will be catered for if we are notified in advance.
- The nearest public toilet is located on the lower ground floor, and is level entry access.
Wi-Fi broadband is provided free of charge.
- All staff are trained in fire evacuation procedures.
- There is an information folder in each room, including a list of local restaurants that we recommend; in addition, we provide maps and our staff are very knowledgeable and are very happy to help with any questions guests have about Brighton.
- We are able to cater to specific dietary requirements if we are given prior notice, and are happy to store special food that guests bring with them (such as soya milk) or medication.
- A duty manager is always present in the hotel; a phone number is provided for assistance between the hours of 11pm and 8am.
- Address – Blanch House, 17 Atlingworth Street, Brighton, BN2 1PL.
- Phone number – 01273 603504
- Website – www.blanchhouse.co.uk
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours of operation – 8 am to 11pm.
- Local Accessible Taxi – Brighton and Hove Streamline Taxis (01273 202020)
- Local Public Transport – Brighton and Hove Bus and Coach Company (www.buses.co.uk, 01273 886200).